With any jacketed or cast bullet you are always going to have parameters, some are narrow & some offer a little more latitude but it's always going to be there trust me.
It's only when you get to the full blown solids that you take away the velocity factor & that's really what we've been discussing here for the last few days & it's been one of the very best topics we've ever talked about.
We know that about any jacketed or cast bullet can fail or succeed depending on 2 main factors, placement & velocity, the last one would also include penetration. If you get those you will declare that bullet a good one. It's almost always when we drive a bullet too fast that we get bullet failure. Seldom do we lose an animal because the bullet was going too slow.
Switching back to the premium solids plus 1-2 others it's almost impossible to drive a solid beyond it's capacity to work in a sixgun/fivegun. That's been proven for many years now & also recently with some the "up close & personal" tests done in Texas on some very large Bovines.
When you get into animals that big a "good" jacketed or a "good" cast can work if you don't over drive it but there's the kicker, most times it's either too much speed or in the case of cast bullets, the bullet is too hard, not too soft, too hard & it breaks apart because of overdrive.
Of the 25 elk that I've taken 13 were taken with handguns, I've also taken 1 bull moose, several bears, some African plains game & probably triple digits on deer, lion, antelope, etc. Almost all were with cast, not hard cast & not fast loads with a few exceptions. One bear with a MV of about 1600 fps & 1 elk at about 1500 fps MV, everything else in the 1200-1300 range with complete pass throughs. Most were double lung if possible, some were through both shoulders, 3 deer were length ways.
This is what I know for a fact because I did it over 50 years.
Once you get to the megatron animals I firmly believe they require more attention because from what I've watched & heard over the years they become almost bullet proof, regardless of bullet structure or placement. They have so much oxygen in their blood stream & so much mass that killing them takes time & time can be a killer on either end. Choose your bullets wisely.....

Dick

Last edited by sixshot; 03/23/2018 6:59 AM.