So, help me out here gents. Here's my situation. This August I'll be heading out on Dall Sheep handgun hunt #3. Hopefully third time is a charm! Tough situation I know!
\:D

I've previously packed my 45 Colt BisHunter and last year worked up a Brian Pierce load with the RCBS 270-SAA clone I casted from a Mihec mould. 280gr, 1450ish fps. Point blank at 100yds. I got the hold over figured out to where I can drop em into the 9? pie plate at 153yds. Top of the rams back puts it where it needs to be. My last ram I killed was at 130yds with my rifle. I want to be able to have a 150yd load if conditions are right but want to be under 100.

I?ve also now acquired a 7.5" FA 454. I haven?t wrung it out yet but the weather is getting better so that will happen soon. I may, I say may take the FA on this hunt but I have a connection with my 45 BisHunter and really want to get a shot at a ram with it. A 45 Colt Ram just has a nice ring to it and it?d be cool to take one with my own cast boolit. And I love that gun. But, when I read about a 300gr Swift A-Frame or cast at 16-1700fps from the FA that gets my attention!

I need the ram to hit the dirt asap! One or 2 hops after a hit and they can be in no mans land and recovery can be, shall I say, rather interesting. Now sheep aren?t the only critters out here in the AK bush! I?ve seen lot?s of big brown fuzzies, I?ve not had an encounter yet sheep hunting but if I should, I need a load/boolit or bullet that will drive straight and deep. I?ll not be hunting griz but will shoot one in defense of life if need be. If so, I won?t have the luxury of shot placement.

I say all that to say I need a load that will drop the ram as quickly as possible, have a good trajectory out to 150yds AND be able to put the hurt on a griz in a DLP situation. I?ve thought about packing 2 loads, lightish and fast for sheep then load the gun with heavy (355gr wfn) and slower for busting the brush in griz country but this is backpack hunt. Things need to be simple. I need one dependable load.

What gun what load, what say ye??