Originally Posted By: Gregg Richter
 Originally Posted By: Whitworth
 Originally Posted By: jamesfromjersey
 Originally Posted By: Coloradoyaler

I spoke to Hornady and they recommended their XTP-MAG bullet as did Freedom Arms. Both said they?d shot plenty of buffalo with them.

I had one of the gunsmith at Freedom arms tell me the reason they quite making bullets or should I say selling them is Hornady was making a great bullets for their 454's. IE: 300 xtp Mag.

I know Freedom Arms gets ton`s of feedback from handgun hunters on how their guns and ammo they used had performed and found it interesting to read the above... I would think for a company like FA`s to make any recommendation they must done a little research into the numbers found them positive before they would commit... This does not mean the XTP is a perfect bullet because there is no such thing but for the 20 failures someone had with XTP`s...there is someone else with 20(maybe 19) successful hunts... As with people...you can find a little good in everyone if you look hard enough
;\)
;\)
\:\)
;\)

I would question the veracity of that claim as frankly the old FA bullets were of a much higher quality than the XTP. I?m sorry they are no longer produced. I have to call FA this week and I?ll ask them about why they no longer produce this bullet. I will bet it was a financial decision.

Whit,

Years ago when I ordered my FA .454 I also bought several boxes of their lead nose bullets.

I used them on two bull elk (one went down on first shot, one took two, different shot angles) I basically was satisfied with that bullet but didn't think it could walk on water.

When WapitiRod built my .475 (BTW I miss him) I developed a load with 400 grain XTP mags and consequently killed two bull elk and four mule deer bucks. Again I was satisfied and maybe I do think this bullet is special.

By being a member here for years I have learned a lot from others and probably would not have chosen the XTP for Cape Buff. As others have posted here, we are all learning here. I have even seen you, Whit, going to jacketed bullets and using scopes!

Thank you to Mr. Hunt for shedding "new" light on the XTP and CONGRATULATIONS once again!

And the learning goes on...
\:\)

I believe that I remember you shot a deer with the 400 grain XTP in 475 and the bullet did not exit nor did it expand. A 400 grain .475 should exit a deer from any angle.