Originally Posted By: sixshot
Craig44, I agree but does that mean only one bullet will work on every thing & others will fail, even on the smaller big game?

Not at all but how many failures are acceptable? Yeah, lots of folks have had success with the bullets in question. Does that nullify the failures? Remember what I said about improving the odds?

Originally Posted By: Franchise
Craig, what animals have you, yourself, shot with a handgun, that you had bullet failures? Is it 1 time or 2, because I'm trying hard to find where "you" have had many failures with handgun bullets..seems like a lot of opinion with little handgun hunting experience

"Very little handgun hunting experience"??? I'm curious to know how you come that conclusion?

Originally Posted By: s4s4u
I don't understand this statement. Impact velocity is directly relative to impact distance. No cartridge can maintain the same velocity regardless of distance.

You're taking my comments out of proper context. Impact velocity is what matters. The distance is irrelevant. Zee wanted to discount the bullet I recovered from SIMTEST because it was 3' from the muzzle. The distance it was from the muzzle is irrelevant. The impact velocity IS relevant. In other words, if the bullet comes apart at 2700fps, that is useful information. So if you're starting with 3000fps muzzle velocity, then you can calculate at what range this will occur. Likewise, you know if you're starting at 2500fps, you will get less expansion/fragmentation. The ultimate point here being that that bullet is not going to get better at velocity higher than that achieved by the .338RCM unless you're shooting at very long range. And that I'm not going to hunt with a bullet that comes apart at the muzzle because whatever it does at the muzzle, it's going to do anywhere within 100yds.

Originally Posted By: SacredCrows
Exactly. Impact velocity is completely relevant. Bullets generally have minimum and maxim impact velocities in which they work.

This is fact wether we are talking about either end of the shooting distance argument. A bullet that works at 5 yards may be horrible at 500 yards and the opposite is also true.

I'm pretty sure that's what I said.