So, as the title implies, I am loosing confidence and am torn this year on what weapon to use for my season. Pistol or Rifle.

I currently use a 460 SW. Last year I shot two deer with this weapon and could only find one, but that was after two days using buzzards.

The first deer was a really nice buck. I was steady on a bag at about 100 yards. The deer mule kicked and ran off. I searched several hours a day for two days and found no sign. I know I could have missed, but at that range with a bag rest, and not rushed, I just don't see it.

The second was a couple days after the buck. A doe at about 130yards. She jumped and kicked. I again searched for hours. It wasn't until A couple days later, while checking cameras, I saw buzzards near the area and found her about 150 yards away from the POI. But the rout she took had to have had her running for several hundred yards, turning in the opposite direction, before falling. I inspected the shot and it was really good, right behind the shoulder.

I shoot Hornadys 200gr ftx for this gun because they are fast and really accurate at the range. I shoot at 100 and 200 yards with great results.
I have other handguns, 3030, 44's but the 460 is probably the hardest hitting one I have and the most accurate, specially at range. I really like shooting the 3030 but am not completely sold on its effectiveness out to 100 yards.

I have started looking into different ammo but everything else that is factory seems to perform so much less I could see how they could make a great difference, even with the different bullet.

I really take it hard when I wound game, or worse, hit and find it rotted, of which that was the first time. Rarely do I not recover game that I shoot at, even with a handgun, but specially with a rifle. These back to back *uck ups really have me thinking about not bringing the handguns out this year, even though I really enjoy using them.

I know it was a long read, and probably boring for most, but it has been eating at me since last season.