Ah, the Model 460 XVR. That's what I chose for my first hunting handgun, and honestly, I should have chosen something else. I mean, it's a fine handgun in the hands of a competent shooter, as some of the other guys here have proven, but I'm just not a good enough handgun shooter to handle it, even now.

One thing you have to keep in mind, even the 8 3/8" model is seriously heavy and bulky. With a scope, it's about as unwieldy as an Encore, but without the longer range capabilities. Even if you're only using the open sights, it's a huge heavy revolver. And if you're using open sights, unless you're really good with them, I just think you're wasting the potential of the revolver and its cartridge.

Also, don't plan on trying to shoot 45 Colts and 454 Casulls out of it. They won't be accurate with such a long jump their bullets have to make to the forcing cone. Might as well make some reduced loads if you want to do that.

There was one guy who used to come here that wound up taking a deer at something like 136 yards. Although some scoff at Smith & Wesson's 200 yard club promoting the 460, I certainly think it's at least capable of as a 100+ yard big game revolver.

I ended up selling that 8 3/8" XVR when my local store got a 14" Performance Center Model 460. I like it well enough, but I just can't shoot it that well. As big as it is, I might as well be packing an Encore, which would definitely let me reach out and hit far more distant deer.

I don't mean to try to scare you off from it, but you should know what you're getting yourself into when you buy one. If I had one piece of advice to give you, I'd say try to find someone who would let you shoot theirs. Otherwise, I think it comes down to the ranges you intend to shoot. If you plan to keep shots under 100 yards, I just think a smaller revolver would be better for you. But if you want to stretch it out farther than that, are capable of shooting it accurately at long range, and don't mind the weight and bulk, the 460 is definitely your ticket.

Formerly TN Lone Wolf

"We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided." - J.K. Rowling