I have a S&W 460 XVR 8 3/8 model. It?s scoped with a 2x6 Bushnell Elite mounted in a 3 ring Weigan mount. It?s definately big and heavy and the cylinder gap and muzzle blast are intense. I have hunted with it for the past 2 seasons and have bagged a Whitetail and a red sheep with it. The 460 XVR is not an all around carry gun and it?s definately not a beginners gun. For me I like it as a powerful gun that can reach out past 100yards to perhaps 200 better than my other revolvers can or as a powerful hammer for animals bigger than deer. If I am hunting deer and I am keeping my shots under 100 yards I will likely prefer a more traditional sized, 44 Magnum revolver. If I were you I would evaluate your needs and if you can get the job done with a 454 or a 44 mag I would consider one of those first. I know this sounds odd coming from an active 460 user but my point is the 460 is not for everyone.
As reference I have hunted with handguns for almost 40 years and have taken dozens of game animals with Magnum revolvers and Contender single shots. Good luck to you however you choose to go.

"Therefore go and make disciples of all nations,... "
Matthew 28:19

Handgun hunter since 1979 - haven't used a rifle since!
HHI member #992, NRA, SCI.