Originally Posted By: Randy M
I've searched this on here and didn't find much. That or I'm not keying the terms correctly.

Regardless, I'm looking seriously into this pistol and looking for personal experience on here. Anyone care to weigh in on this handgun? I'd most likely go with the older style in 8.3" barrel.

To piggy back on to this...I JUST bought a TC Encore, 15" .308. This is my second Encore - I sold my last one probably 10 years ago and regretted it. So, I bought another a few months ago and have spent a lot of time with it. Killed a turkey with it this past May and to be perfectly honest, as soon as I pulled the trigger I remembered why I sold my first one. I can't put my finger on it exactly, but it just doesn't 'do' it for me. Maybe I'm a revolver guy (freaking love my .44 Raging Bull). Maybe I'm a big bore straight wall guy. I don't know, but it's just uninspiring to me. I'm not going to sell this one as I see a potential need for it in Fall '19, but I honestly don't know if I'll hunt with it this coming season. That probably sounds nuts to everyone on here.

Back to original topic...460 XVR...what say you, my short-barreled brethren?

Randy

Unless you are completely sold on the XVR, you might consider a .454 Casull barrel for your Encore. Checking velocities with two of my loads recently showed that with my 12" barrel they came in at the low end of 460S&W revolver velocities. These loads used W296 and were below max loads listed in data from the bullet manufacturers.

These loads also used 9-10 grains less W296 than minimum 460S&W loads for the same weight bullets (240gr & 260gr) according to Hodgdon data. 9-10gr of W296 is a lot of powder! Burning less powder per round also means you would get 41-44 more rounds per pound of powder (according to my .454 Casull loads compared to Hodgdon minimum 460S&W loads).

I'm not trying to talk you out of a revolver. I prefer revolvers most of the time. Just something else to consider.

Experience is the best teacher, hunger good sauce.
Osborne Russell Journal of a Trapper