Originally Posted By: OFFSHORE
What's wrong with 2 holes and dead critters?? That's what a hardcast is supposed to do.

It's not a problem, it's a feature!

Well, it's kinda like this. . .I have shot hardcast bullets in a few revolvers for a number of years just for the coolness factor, not that I knew much about them - I just liked them. And was always told to shoot 22 BHN gas checked bullets as to not lead up my barrels. I've killed many critters with them as an opportunist, more so than actually handgun hunting. Recently I had a custom barrel made for my T/C Encore in 445 SM. This cartridge has exceeded my expectations in yardage and accuracy (coming from .44 and .45 revolvers) and now has my total interest in hardcast bullets. I'm wanting to learn as much about them as possible and hopefully create some of my own. Being I do not have someone to teach me or friends that shoot these bullets, I'm forced to read from good internet forums such as this with good folks with more knowledge than I. I'm not saying I had problems with the bullets I used with a BHN of 20 to 22, because I certainly didn't and yes, two holes are better than one. I just have read alot that it is not needed and I could find better performance with an alloy in the 15 to 18 BHN and still get the penetration I like. I'm wanting to experiment in order to wring out every last bit of performance that I can get from my new barrel. . .so I have questions and hopefully get answers from the experienced folks here.

I like and use 22 to 24 BNH in my hard cast. The faster you shoot them you?ll notice that you?re 20 to 22 BNH bullets will be more accurate. The 15 to 18 hardness will be fine on deer but truly large game will not penetrate as deep as the 20 to 22 hardness bullets.
A nice wide flat point will produce large wound channels as well as good penetration.