I have just returned from my long planned, highly anticipated, and ultimately successful hunt for my first bull elk.

Fellow member Darrell H and I traveled from Georgia to Colorado to hunt the first rifle season on a private ranch we purchashed rights to hunt on through an outfitter. We drove, camped, hunted, and recovered DIY. Although we both drew either sex tags, my goal was simple and straightforward; I was shooting the first legal bull I had an opportunity on.

We arrived the day before the season opened and set up camp.

This tent would be my home for the duration of the elk hunt.

There were a total of 7 hunters on the ranch including us and 5 rifle hunters we met at the safety briefing and orientation on the ranch. After the brief tour, the hunters discussed among themselves where they would hunt in the morning. Some of the other hunters were returning to the ranch again after hunting it in the past. The rifle hunters were quite certain where the elk were gonna be, and which areas they would hunt. Darrell and I were the new guys and felt like we got last pick. Nevertheless, we made plans for opening morning.

This is the view of the ranch from camp. It is some big country for a handgun hunter from the hills of Georgia. We glassed from camp in the evening, and spotted elk at last light.

My plan for opening morning was to climb to a power line that crossed a ridge visible from camp. This would give an excellent view of the valley below. I hoped to glass elk and make a play. As shooting light came, I glassed my first legal elk. Two bulls stood on the bank of a water hole in the valley 5-600 yards below me. For thirty minutes I watched, but could make no move, as the wind direction was from our ranch to the bulls. I feared a stalk would drive them off the ranch. Content to be patient, I watched and waited.

Then I heard a bull bugle softly on the same ridge I was on. I grabbed my pack and moved toward him. A cow elk emerged from the scrub oaks, so I froze in position. The bull was following her closely...but the wind was wrong and he disappeared as quickly as he cleared the brush. I felt that was that but I quickly cut the distance between us and made two cow calls. A cow responded and gave away her location. They had not retreated, but moved to the side of the ridge. There, they were not directly downwind of me. I dropped to prone and positioned my Contender on my daypack. Another cow call by me, and the bull climbed the ridge seeking me.
He cleared the scrub oak and was completely visible, as he walked straight toward me. I just knew he would wind me and whirl to safety without giving me a shot. Unable to find me he turned to rejoin his cow, giving me the broadside shot I needed.

All the practice this summer on elk targets paid off. The crosshires fell into place, and the 35 roared. I was rewarded with a most satisfying meat report. BOOM-WWHHOPP! The bull was hit hard, but walked 20 yards straight away. A second 200 grain FTX was sent. WWHOPP! Another solid hit. The bull walked another 20 yards and went down in a patch of oaks. I could just see antlers, but they stopped moving.

After a couple of minutes, I approached the downed bull. His head was still rolling, and he was gargling, drowning in his lungs. A third bullet was dispensed, sealing the deal.