When I shot the bull, I was comfortable he was in range. I would have sworn he was no more than 130 yards away. After the fact, I ranged the first shot at 159 yards. The second shot was 20 yards further.
The first shot was placed as intended. It struck the shoulder, pentrated both lungs, and cut the arteries on the top of the heart. The second shot was not so precise. It struck the ham and raked forward into the stomach. The third shot, delivered at 10 yards, struck both shoulders. It absolutely destroyed the bone on the offside, and was immediately effective.
None of the bullets exited, but only the third was recovered. The first was lodged where the ribs meet the bone of the brisket, and the second was lost in the stomach.

I was able to get my ATV to within 200 yards of the elk. I deboned him where he laid. I was back in camp with an elk rack and cooler full of elk meat by 2:30 opening day.

I want to thank Darrell for inviting me to join him, taking my picture, and helping pack my elk meat to the ATV.