I've occasionally seen members reference a poor man's trigger job. If you don't know what that is, it's where you unhook one or both trigger springs from a pin in a Ruger single action's grip frame. Having spoiled myself with the light, crisp trigger jobs on my Encore, Weatherby, and AR-15, I thought I'd do a little experiment.

For fear of royally screwing something up this close to season, I started with my 357 Blackhawk, which I don't plan on using. My trigger scale showed a force of 4 pounds was necessary to break the trigger. I removed the frames, unfastened one of the springs, and measured 3.25 pounds, a bit less of a change than I was expecting. I wanted to try removing both springs, just to see what happens, even though I heard that it typically leaves the trigger dangerously light. To my surprise, it measured 2.5 pounds, which is still heavier than my Encore.

With the technique figured out, I tried it with the 41 Blackhawk. Unmodified, the pull was 3.75 pounds. With one spring unhooked, 2.25 pounds. Again, just to test, I unhooked the other spring. I barely put pressure on the trigger before it broke, a pull I measured at a mere 1 pound. Yeah. . . no. Way too light. I hooked one spring back onto the pin in both guns, even the 357.

All in all, pretty interesting experiment.

Formerly TN Lone Wolf

"We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided." - J.K. Rowling