Most hunts went as expected and certain findings were to be expected. If you push cup and core bullets to fast and hit bone they can blow up and not kill an animal. Not all cast bullets are made the same. One particluarly interesting finding was on the shoulder of a waterbuffalo. We placed the bullets at point blank range thru the shoulder where they would not hit bone. First up was the ceb 400gr solid at 1750 fps from a 500 smith lever action. A mild load and it blew thru and hit the dirt/mud after exiting and kicked up mud 10 ft into the air! The 440 underwood barely deformed at all, was over 100 fps faster but didnt exit! The 500 gr load literally ground down to nearly 1/2 the size deapit not hitting bone. When we took the animal apart it was verified that no bone was hit. I find the point blank testing useful because its a dg load and it better hold up on a charge. I was shocked the 500 gr had such little integrity when not hitting bone. The rimrocks have done well and so for anyone wanting to use commercial cast bullets, the rimrocks are a good affordable choice. Also, on my daughter buff it was interesting to see 480 lehigh at 1330 fps handily out penetrate the 440 cast at 1120 fps which goes against alot of conventional wisdom. Also the swift aframes just keep working, everytime! My son shot an aframe thru the skull of a bull and it went thru the skull and into the hide on the other side. Even going thru the heavy bone the expanded hollow point showed perfect expansion and looked like it went thru the lungs. The aframes also passed thru the shoulders of the eland, a 325 aframe at 1560 fps. Just some observations. My eldest shot the 325 gr aframes out of his 500 jrh at a rather sedate 1480 fps. The damage was remarkeable and in 3 shots taken in rapid succession, 2 while the bull was moving, passed thru and it died quickly in a shower of blood.

Last edited by tradmark; 11/07/2018 5:10 AM.