Originally Posted By: Jeff460
Penetration through one animal and into a hill on the other side is wasted and excessive force. Penetration through one animal and into another is excessive also. An example is warranted. On a hunt for Cape Buffalo in Africa, a 45/70 with a heavy cast bullet was used. At the shot the heavy cast bullet penetrated through the target buffalo and continued on to hit another buffalo on the other side. Both succumbed to the injury. That meant that over-penetration occurred, and collateral damage ensued.
If more velocity is always necessary, than why are lower velocity and lower pressure offerings offered by the factory ammunition suppliers like HSM and Federal allowed? Would that not lead to more wounding by doing so? No it does not. The shot is placed, by the odds, more accurately and the lower velocity works well with the bullets selected.
Big bovines deserve deepest penetration and I understand your premise. Just realize that moderation from extremes is a very efficient balance contest that can even apply to the big bovines of the animal kingdom.

Keep in mind that when one chooses flat-nosed hardcast bullets it is for its penetrative ability. When you get an exit, it's considered a bonus. You don't often get exits on large bovines. I remember when Brian Pearce told me that story about his twofer in Africa. More than likely, if the round exited buffalo one and killed buffalo two, not heavy bone got in its way, and impeded its forward march. That said, he was not using hardcast bullets, he used CorBon Penetrators, but that's neither here nor there. I won't argue that harder recoil is not handled well by most handgunners, but there are plenty of folks who have chosen this path and can readily handle heavy recoil. It's something that normally one works up to, but there is no free lunch. Big calibers loaded to potential punish on both ends. Nope, when the animal weighs more than six or seven Virginia whitetail bucks, I want "excessive" performance. There is nothing more unsettling than when a "dead" bovine reanimates. Trust me.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

BIG IRON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6aXjMH5C30

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s