I did it. I killed a deer with my .327. There has been plenty of conversation and speculation about what would or could happen on the Internet. I have been reluctant to try it, but curiosity got the best of me, and I took an ideal opportunity to try it. I think we all have wanted to see actual field results.

I bought my Single Seven .327 for use in the IHMSA field pistol game, not for use on flesh. Rave reviews of accuracy and high velocity were the selling points. My Ruger with its 7.5 inch barrel does not disappoint on those fronts with the uber hot Federal American Eagle 100 grain loads. It is a little hotrod. I haven't chrono'ed mine but reports online suggest 1600-1700 fps is not only possible, but realistic. I have shot hundreds of the Federal loads through mine, and feel very comfortable with the gun and ammo.

With the Georgia season ending this weekend, it's crunch time for shooting a deer. I haven't seen a mature buck this season, but have seen a bumper crop of young bucks. On a whim I decided to carry my .327. I resolved if one of those young bucks gave me a perfect broadside shot at 25 yards I would test the 100 grain AE load on flesh.

The buck I would end up shooting emerged from the woods into the opening I was hunting at about 65 yards. As he fed comfortably, he gave me numerous broadside presentations at 50-60-70 yards, but I wouldn't try it. The accuracy wasn't an issue, but I was dubious of the .327's penetration. As fate would have it, the deer exited the field parallel to my shooting house giving me that perfect broadside shot at about 30 yards.

It was my intent to shoot the deer directly in the heart, but my placement was off. The bullet struck too low and too far forward. I did exactly what I should have not done. I shot the deer through both shoulders.
The bucks reaction was immediate. With no front drive, he plowed into the woods. I heard him crash in the crisp leaves of the nearby woods. I didn't hear him flee any further. I was cautiously optimistic that he was done, but waited 10 minutes non the less. Prepared for a wounded deer, I quietly approached his last position. My worst fear was realized. He was still alive and bedded. In that moment, I regretted my choice of gun. I leveled the front sight on the deer bedded facing away some 30-40 yards away and fired. The buck attempted to regain his feet, but only plowed forward on his chest. I hurriedly flung another shot at him. He stopped moving, laying on his side, but his head remained up. I took a seated position and carefully placed a bullet in his neck. That did it and he tumbled lifeless downhill.

All 4 shots struck the deer. 3 bullets exited, and one was recovered. I feel that if I had placed the first shot correctly, we would be talking about a one shot kill. The .327 proved to be adequate, but I can't recommend it as a first choice for deer hunting.