This is the first 100 grain American Eagle that struck the deer. It penetrated both leg bones and was recovered in the shattered remains of the offside shoulder-leg joint.

Bullet number two hit one lung and exited. The damage inside the chest cavity was similar to the damage I have seen caused by other revolver cartridges.
Bullets 3 and 4 entered and exited the head and neck.

When I walked up to the deer, I was underwhelmed by the wounds. However, when I opened him up, the bloodshot and hemoraging was similar to wounds in deer I have killed with my .44. Where bone or rib was struck, there was violence. But, where only soft tissue was hit, the wound channel was small. That's understandable, the bullets are only .312 in diameter. Perhaps a hollow point would help...but that might hamper the impressive penetration I witnessed. Granted, it was a small deer, but a 100 grain .327 broke bones on both sides of the deer.

I feel the .327 treads deeply into .357 territory. My Single Seven in .327 with the 100 grain Federals continues to impress. As impressive as 1600 fps is in the context of small revolvers, 1600 with a 100 grain bullet falls well short of deer cartridge by all measures.