I have done some extensive testing this past year with the 327 Federal. I found accuracy to be one constant with this round, and found no problem getting great results from 100 grains to just over 140 grain bullets.

I was going to mention the heavy bullets in this caliber after reading the OP's post. I agree 100% with what SIXSHOT said about the heavy bullets in this caliber. I also found the only way to get them is to cast em. There are no jacketed bullets I found made to compliment this calibers performance or full potential. While I would prefer a better suited round for medium sized game, the 100 grain bullets in any form would be the last one I would concider for deer sized game.

One other thing before I say the Bullet I believe SIXSHOT took his deer with is the bullet I would use, the Mihec 140 grain Sledgehammer. I also would want it used in the HP, my preference is the Penta HP and mine weigh 133 grains as I cast. I also know to get the most from it you need the FA Ruger Blackhawk or the GP-100 to allow the powder space to extract all it can be. These revolvers with the longer cylinders allow the long bullets to be seated further out, allowing for valuable powder space for the slower powders it needs to be all it can be.

Properly cast these long lean HP offer 1541 fps from my GP-100, with an alloy that will keep the over 100 grain base of the bullet together on large bone hits from deer sized game even if the nose does separate on them. Small bones like ribs I don't believe will cause these bullets to loose their nose, but even tissue should allow over 40 caliber expansion. I say this because we have shot some pork shoulders and other media with them.

But even the single seven length cylinders would benefit from this heavier bullet at somewhat slower velocities for game the size of deer. I have not shot a deer, and will likely not use it on deer, but I do think a double lung shot should be a sure bet out to reasonable yardage one is capable of placing accurate shots. My reason for not using it is the likely thoughts that how far that deer will, or could, travel before the shot takes it's full toll would be questionable. I have far to many options that will assure me at my age I won't have to bother with the tracking the 327 could require.

Call me lazy, but DRT is more important to me today than ever before, and becoming even more of a priority every season!

Last edited by wildcatter; 01/17/2019 7:39 PM.