I also agree on a revolver and anything inside 100 yards on big game the Redot is my choice. Even if I was going to use the scope I want a 2X capability. Offhand or off most makeshift rests in the field, a 4X scope is awful hard to steady, and for me causes me to fight the shake from magnification. So if I wanted 4X capability, I would choose a variable power that didn't restrict me in other circumstances.

Now on my MGM Encore which is capable of groups at and shooting 2" or less at 200 yards, I want and need some magnification. For that I also need to drag a better Bi or tri pod with me to be stable unless I'm hunting in a fixed location where I can establish ahead a good solid resting position.

This is when I find for me the Burris with it's Ballistic Plex reticle is my best choice. I like the eye relief better on the 2x8 Luppy but that Ballistic Plex is more important to me on a handgun capable of 250 or farther range.

I have a Burris Fastfire III on a couple revolvers, my 45 Colt for inside 100 yards on big game, and my 22 Single Six, for inside 50 on small game. I went with the Ultradot on the BFR 475 with Whitworths recommendation over the Fastfire because of durability, but think the Fastire is more field of view friendly. Smaller lighter, and if it will take the recoil, I would rather use the Burris. But on this gun, protective covers, and supposedly a stronger system will prevail for the time being.

My biggest complaint even on the 2X LER scopes is light, that lasy and first light of legal hunting time 1/2 hour before and after, they just don't give enough light to see the reticle clearly on dark shadowed game. The older I get the harder it is to make out the reticle in these low light situations which are optimum times for most movement of game. For this the auto variable illumination of the Fastgire III is my choice for red dots. This one other area the Ultra dot dot could use improvement it is plenty bright for full sun use, but does not turn down as low as I would like for those first and last opportunities. This is another situation where the Burris excels.

If Leupold would offer their firefly reticle in the fine 2x8x32 LER I think it could possibly be the ideal sight for all handguns revolvers particularly. That is except the really big calibers where fast sight acquisition is a must on very large and dangerous game, then a redot w/ unlimited field of view would always be my choice.

Last edited by wildcatter; 01/17/2019 8:39 PM.