Perhaps I should explain futher. I have never envisioned the .327 as a big game tool. That is not why I bought one. The .327 enjoys a reputation for speed and accuracy. My 7.5 inch Single Seven affirms these traits. The thing is a daggum blast to shoot. To roll the diminutive cartridges in your fingers undersells the power their high pressures yield. To describe it as just a .32, and lump it with the anemic 32 S&W or 32 H&R, is misleading. To get on the trigger, clang the plates, topple the steel, and pop the water filled jugs is to see and to believe.
I can't recall anyone in my little circle of handgun hunting and shooting friends, that after seeing the gun at work, didn't at least mention its use on deer. " I think it would work." "If you got close...I don't see why not." "Inside 50 yards...why not"
I always responed with a scrunch faced " Mmm...I don't think so..." I admit, curiousity got the best of me, and I did it. Then I shared my results on the internet, attempting to be as honest as possible. I wish I could have been as thorough as Zee with forensic photos.
As far as the ammo is concerned, the American Eagle load I used features a jacketed soft point. It is likely the most available factory load on the shelves. The bullet features skives cut in the jacket to facilitate expansion. I measured the bullet recovered from the deer. It measures .390 at its narrowest and .430 at its widest. It broke bones on both sides of the deer. I wouldn't say the bullet underperformed.