Thanks for the pointers everybody.
I pulled it apart last night and everything looks fine. The transfer bar has a little divot on the back side from the firing pin (not sure how deep this is, but it could contribute to the problem). That was the only sign of wear that I could find beyond some rub marks on the side of the hammer. I did find replacement springs on line and found that they have separate springs with different part numbers for the 44 vs 454 and 480 (KY00400-DA for 454/480) hammer strut springs, so I ordered a new one. I also ordered a new transfer bar.

My pistol has a firing pin bushing retaining pin that looks like it was placed and then finished with the frame. Not a fun project to put a longer firing pin in. Other forums were saying that many gunsmiths won't do it and it's best to return to Ruger. As an alternative, many folks suggested shaving down the hammer stop on the hammer by a few thousands. The machined surface here is quite rough and it would be easy to polish it smooth and take off several thousands. Before I try that though, I am going to try the new spring and transfer bar and see if I can center the hammer with some thin shim washers to eliminate side wall drag. If that doesn't work, I will take the old transfer bar and thicken it with some shim stock and super glue to simulate shaving down the hammer stop. I will also pick up some Federal 205M primers. Looks like enough to keep me entertained for a while.
Thanks again for the pointers and I'll post back with what I find out.