Originally Posted By: sixshot
Spencer, that's some good choices! Since I've lived here all my life I've been able to live that dream every year but I've always knew how lucky I've been to be able to do it, I've never taken it for granted.
And like Max said, you need to look into Africa before giving up on a Safari, you can do one for plains game & have a great hunt for 3-4-5 animals for what you can pay for one animal in Alaska. Also in Alaska you might not even see that animal but you're still going to pay for it. Not so in Africa.
Just seeing Africa, the people, the sights, the rivers, etc. You can just enjoy the culture & not even hunt for days & have a blast, it's just so different but don't wait too long, it's changing. Nothing like sitting around the Braii at night with friends after a day of hunting & swapping stories in Africa.

Dick

Preach on brother. I couldnt say it better myself! Ive done the alaska and do the elk all the time and love both! I went to africa the first time with gary smith. He told me on the plane. It just smells different. He was right. There was an immediate allure. I felt it when i was young reading capstick. I didnt know how it would infect me until i went the first time. Its hard to put into words home it feels to chase a cape buff and put it down and drive back to camp on the land rover with the unique smells of the foliage and animals with the cool wind nipping your face watching a perfect sunset over the acacia trees. Wondering if you will come across a great representative and get a shot on another animal on your list. Then be back in camp knowing that there could be a leopard or lion watching you walk back to your hut before hitting the sack. Then doing it again for 9 or 10 more days. My cousin went and felt the same way and took a lionness a kudu and an impala all for under 10k counting the flight. Its just something i would implore anyone saving for a hunt to not consider it. Its just hard to equal!