I have been shooting the 6.5JDJ for about 15 years. I started with the Sierra Pro Hunter 120 grn and H414 powder and I'm still shooting the same load. I have been getting short on the Pro Hunter and have started using the Ballistic Tip 120grn.
I have taken two hogs and several deer with the Pro Hunter. Shoots great groups and has dropped everything I have shot quick.
Here is a hog I took in Texas with the Sierra Pro Hunter 120grn at 105 yds. He weighed 120lb. The deer I have shot with the Ballistic Tip have never traveled more that maybe 20-30 yds. The one in the photo was a doe a few weeks back, 110lb in KS.
I got into the same thing you did when I purchased my barrel.
Had to find some 225 brass. Put out some feelers on the net and a guy from Maine, gunsmith, had built a 225 Varmint rifle for a customer but the only way he could get brass way back then was 500 at a time. He still had 250 pcs and I got them for a good price. Used cheap pull 120grn Core Loks for fireforming.
Most of the time when I go hunt, I grab my 6.5JDJ. I have a Burris 3x12 on it now.
Mike

You don't quit playing because you get old, You get old because you quit playing.