Originally Posted By: briarhopper
Ive been sprayed twice with pepper spray while a LEO. I lived for many years in bush Alaska, and Ive killed grizzly bear. I currently work summers in Montana riding horseback in the back country, and I wont let people around me or my horses with pepper spray. If you set off a can of that stuff inside of a tent without ventilation, it could very well kill you if you have any respiratory / heart issues. Human OC spray that incapacitated those 6 cops mentioned above is 5% pepper. Bear spray is 10%, and the canister holds a whole lot more. I now carry a full size 1911 .460 Rowland loaded with BB hardcast with a Surefire slung from the bottom to back up my Winchester 1886 saddle gun in .45/70. You cant shoot pepper spray into the wind, you can a gun. Pepper spray is mostly useless in a torrential downpour, a firearm isnt. You cant reload a can of pepper spray, you can your firearm. These are just my own observations from my own experiences. Yours may be different, and Im sure just as worthy of consideration

BH, several years ago my kids and I picked some peppers from our garden. I cant remember what peppers they were but there were 3 different varieties. I set to making our own salsa with them, about 5 mins into cooking the oils from the peppers became vaporized. Ran all of us including the dog out of the house. Ive been pepper sprayed for work years ago and it wasn't even close to the vapors released in my kitchen that day. My daughter still talks about it to this day.

Life Member NAHC
HHI Member #7149
NRA Member