Most of you know I have very little experience with jacketed bullets but when I hunted Africa I did use some in single shot handguns at the time although I also had my FA 475. My bullets in the single shots were Barnes X's & as you know they are dependent on velocity to work their magic, slow them down & they can act much like a solid.
I always dropped down one or two bullet weights in single shots so I could keep my velocity up & it saved my bacon on a hard angle on a Blue Wildebeest. It was a long shot & almost facing me & I was shooting my 338/284 with a 185 gr Barnes X running hard!
Any other bullet with few exceptions probably would have failed me, you guys might know. Anyway, the bullet went just into the right front shoulder on a steep angle, all the way across the body & broke the left hind leg, knocking the bull down. It bounced up only to be greeted with another, that ended it. Velocity is a must with the Barnes X bullets, that little needle HP needs some help. The king of all Warthogs found out the same thing when that same bullet absolutely destroyed both front shoulder bones, you could have dropped an orange through the hole. This was one of three Warthogs I shot.

Dick

Last edited by sixshot; 04/13/2019 7:52 AM.