I'm in the preliminary stages of planning an African Safari (Researching Outfitters) and since it's in the off-season, hopefully this will spark some conversation. I haven't nailed down exactly what I want to hunt yet, but do have several ideas. Being that I'll be on a poor-boy budget - I won't be able to hunt everything I'd like to. One of my thought's is a Spiral-Horn Slam: Kudu; Nyala; Eland; and Bushbuck. Other interest that are high on my list are; Gemsbok; Impala; Wildebeest (Blue and Black); Warthog; Zebra; Waterbuck; and Springbok. I wouldn't be against other animals of opportunity.

I'm interested in experiencing all the methods of hunting in Africa: Safari-style; spot-n-stalk; setting in blinds over waterholes...etc. I'm also planning on trying to video the hunt if possible - which I know will not be easy (my wife may take up my slack here). I'm primarily wanting to hunt with revolvers, but I'm not against carrying a single shot along. I have: 41 mag; 44 mag; 45 Colt; 454 Casull; 480 Ruger; and 475 Linebaugh calibers to choose from in revolvers. some of those are scoped, some red-dots, and some iron sights. In the encore platform I have 308 Winchester (2x7 burris)and 270 Winchester (4x12 burris) barrels.

With the given info, I'd love to hear recommendations/comments on outfitters you've used, recommendations on revolver/caliber, recommendations on encore calibers, along with bullets recommendations and preferred time of year to hunt.

I really value the veteran Africa hunters opinions here and look forward to a good discussion. Any helpful tips as far as getting guns into country or anything else I may have missed will also be greatly appreciated.

If there's bad experience you've encountered and don't want to post publicly, please PM me so as to steer clear of them.

It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze.