Originally Posted By: sixshot
Ron, congratulations on getting ready to hunt with that fine Colt Revolver! As Rey mentioned, a 260 gr bullet from a 45 Colt at 1,000 fps doesn't need much help, it's been taking a lot of game, some much bigger than deer for a very long time.
That load is easy to shoot & hard to slow down once it hits something & all of us want that exit hole on game, it makes life simple when hunting. Deer aren't hard to kill with good bullet placement & the 45 makes short work of them with or without expansion. If you want expansion your cast bullets need to be quite soft but not lead your barrel, you can do that with powder coated bullets.
You can also do it with a HP'ed powder coated bullet now. I'm simply amazed how far I'm penetrating these heavier cast HP's on deer. I've only recovered one & it went almost lengthways on a fork horn muley after breaking the front shoulder on an angle. I did not expect that. I was using a 44 HP at just over 1,000 fps.
I'm almost positive it would work on "most" hogs in a heavy 45 HP, the 278 gr slug, even through the shoulders. The one variable would be if you drove it too fast. I think at the 1,000 fps margin it would be outstanding. I hope Rey tries it. On big hogs, I'm not sure but deer wouldn't stand a chance.
Anyone wanting to try a few, I'll send you a sample. I have red or black.....or red or black!! A gas check is not needed with PC

Dick

THIS !!!!

FYI...
Ashley Emerson shot a 280LB hog in the leg with a hard cast running 1000FPS and it just kept on going. It broke the bone and the leg was dangling. He emptied his gun onto the hog as it was climbing up an embankment. (Keep in mind the hog was moving the whole time) It took all six rounds to finally shut the Hog down. Shot placement still reigns king.
Ashley makes some good ammo. The 260 gr he makes is good for Deer for sure and I would not hesitate to use it on a smaller Hog.
For the folks that own FA97s Good news,,, the 260 gr fits in the cylinder.
I have a HP that I want to try soon if given the opportunity.
This has been addressed many times by the handgun hunters but ammo folks do not always listen.
Bottom line is money or economics,,,, Nosler quit making their hunting bullets simply because they did NOT sell enough of them.
So getting someone to manufacturer a lot of hunting ammo is out of the question for bigger companies. Oops sort of Highjacking, Let me get off the soap box.