Quality training is quality training and fundamentals is fundamentals. You can practice them with a .22lr or a .500 JRH.

Familiarity with the particular idiosyncratic nature of a certain firearm/load can be beneficial if there is a stark difference in how the platform handles. But, 10 rounds of hot ammo verses 20 rounds of standard ammo in a training session? Well, I guess it just depends on what your training objective is.

I had my boy practice all summer with reduced powder 110gr .308 Win loads that were powder puff in the bolt action Specialty Pistol. But, he could stack them on top of one another at 100 yards from a field rest and not bat an eye in recoil. Adding to that, the practice with a Ruger .22lr Charger Pistol.

On game day, I put a 125gr SST load in the chamber that had more weight, velocity, and recoil, but which I knew had the same POI as the reduced load (I tested the results). He made a PERFECT shot on his deer and to this day.........has no clue I swapped ammo on him. He was so focused on the fundamentals that he didn?t realize the recoil difference.

Not saying you have to practice with less. Just that, if you do it right, practice is practice.

I just did the ?ballistic research? and load development FOR him. 😁

"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith