I?ll throw my two cents in on this also.

The BFR has never really caught on down here, although it seems to be a fine revolver. If you must have a new revolver and cost is a limiting factor, this may be the way to go.

My .454 is a Freedom Arms, and once you use them, it becomes apparent why they cost what they do, and they are worth every penny. I have no problem with the grip shape. Mine is a five shot and that?s what I carry in it. I also invest in good leather to carry it.

As Whitworth stated, there is a reason few build .454s on Ruger frames. You?d do just as well with a five shot .45 Colt conversion from a performance standpoint. However, this will likely be your most costly route in terms of money and time. Pressure on the Casull is set at a max of 65,000 psi, and most factory loads, if I recall correctly, are loaded to a max pressure of 52-55k .

I had a Super Redhawk in .454, and it is one of the few handguns I was happy to sell. It should have never been made a six shot in my not so humble opinion. It would choke on loads the Raging Bull had no problem handling.

If you look around, used FA revolvers can be found for not much more than the cost of a Performance Center BFR.