Originally Posted By: wvhitman
Rob and I were hunting groundhogs in WV with his new .454 SuperRedhawk. Had cylinder rotation problem, so-so accuracy, cylinder rotating backwards. Nice looking gun, but poor performer.
I still wanted one. Bought it. Sent it to Ken Kelly before I ever fired it. Told him to make it right. He did all his fancy/practical upgrades. Now it shoots greats. Handles all the full power loads my FA .454 and Raging Bull do. I feel this gun has to be tweaked by a pro to perform the way it should. Ruger wasn't up to that on the originals.
As far as the .454/.475 question. I have each in 7 1/2" FAs. They perform great. Both will do 1 1/2- 2" at 100 when I do my part. I feel the .454 is a pretty much SOFT do everything gun. It'll kill the great big boys, but not much margin for error.
The .475 is a step above the .454 in power. I've done water buff, Cape buff, lioness,and rhino with mine. Did great on all. I carry it as a backup on WV bear hunts, plus killed one with it. Also had a wounded bear come at me growling. He melted at 6 feet with a center chest shot. I consider it and my .500s my big boy guns.
A note on Raging Bulls. I have them in .41, .454,.500. Zero problems. Close to FA accuracy. Greatest revolver grip made.

If ya want more than a 454 go 500. I dont feel the 475 does much of anything better than a 454 unless youre gonna use cast. Use monometals or premium expanding bullets and velocity becomes king. Then again theres those that think a 480 is a bigger hammer than a 460.