It's been a while since I received my two custom MGM Encore barrels. I intended to try them out before now - I really did - but it was not to be. Today, though, the stars aligned, and I managed to take both of my Encores out for an initial sight in.

For this range session, I wasn't concerned with 100% sighting in. The handloads I craft will doubtlessly shoot somewhat differently, so it wasn't absolutely crucial to get them hitting the bullseye every time. Still, I wanted to get a good idea of the Encores' accuracy capabilities, even with factory ammo. I also wanted to test the velocity of the factory loads through my barrels. Time was a little short, so I settled on using just 10 rounds each. Two rounds at 25 yards, two at 50, and two 3-shot groups at 100 yards, with scope adjustments where necessary.

First up, the 327 Federal Magnum Encore:

It's been a while since I've shot any heavily recoiling handguns, so I decided to start small. Not surprisingly, the 327 Federal Magnum in the bulky Encore frame makes for a surprisingly sweet-shooting handgun, on par with my 221 Fireball, except more of a push. It only took four rounds to get the scope adjusted properly at 100 yards. I wasn't consistent with my grip at first, trying to get a feel for the pistol, so my first group was quite wide. Still, I managed a very respectable 1.303" 100 yard group the second attempt. The American Eagle 85 grain SP loads produced an average velocity of 1,967 fps, with a standard deviation of 27.

With that done, it was time to break out the mighty 460 S&W Encore:

Like the two 460 S&W revolvers I've used previously, this Encore is an absolute beast. Even with the somewhat anemic 200 grain FTX factory loads, it still produced a tremendous 2,716 fps velocity. With that power came a lot of recoil, but it's hard to say whether it or the Model 460 recoils worse. I'll have to compare the two side by side someday.

Anyway, as I did with the 327, I managed to quickly get the scope zeroed pretty well. Once again, I fidgeted with my grip on the first of the two 3-shot groups. However, the second 3-shot group turned out pretty well. I may have pulled the last shot high, but the 460 still produced a 1.280" 3-shot group at 100 yards, which is perfectly acceptable to say the least.

I'm very happy with the accuracy of my two builds. With practice and some handloading, I'm certain I'll be able to tighten both groups a little. Any deer or coyote that crosses my path this season will be in big trouble.

Formerly TN Lone Wolf

"We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided." - J.K. Rowling