Here in MN, we've got it strong in Wisconsin right across a river. It has been turning up in locations across the state, typically associated with deer farms that have infected animals on site. There is a large area of infected deer in SE Minnesota that is ~50-75 miles south of us. We are just outside the mandatory deer checking areas where the state will collect the lymph nodes and send them in for analysis so we collect our own and bring them to the U of MN where they will turn around the results in 2 weeks. If you are in the hot spots, the state/hunting associations will typically provide a walk-in cooler and fedex the samples to CSU in Fort Collins for one week testing results so you know before you take your deer out of the area. Right now we process the deer at risk under the assumption that it isn't in the immediate area yet. At some point that will change. Currently, my biggest worry is cross contamination at the Butcher shop. We may go back to processing and grinding our own, but it's been getting so warm that you can't leave a deer hanging for very long so that will complicate things a bit.
I think data on human impact is still lacking, but there is a study in Canada where interm results showed that feeding infected meat to monkeys caused them to get infected. From my understanding this is the first demonstration of CWD transmission between species and the reason the CDC recommended not eating infected animals. The final results were suppose to be available a year ago, but I haven't heard anything about it.
As for moving through and dying off... I'm not sure this has that sort of pattern. Has it disappeared in the elk and deer in Wyoming and Colorado where they first discovered the disease? From my understanding deer can live quite a while and reproduce before dying.

Last edited by karl; 09/04/2019 9:58 PM.