I've had at least one 41 mag for more years than I can remember. I have taken a total of two head of game with mine, a whitetail doe and a cougar. The doe at 20 yards with a 4 inch S&W 57 with a Nosler 210 grain HP bullet back when I used to pollute my revolvers with jacketed bullets. Oh the shame. She dropped at the shot.

The cougar with a BH 6.5 inch and 265 grain LBT cast bullet, extremely hard, straight linotype if I remember correctly. It flopped around a little and died quickly. The entrance and exit wounds were the same size. The internal damage was substantial.

When we moved to Alaska 17 years ago, the 41 was the only centerfire revolver I owned. I carried it without reservation in bear country. I always kept it loaded with the 265 grain bullets over a stiff load of H110. While I had a few close encounters with bears, none of them ever required shooting. All disputes were resolved amicably.

I would not hesitate for a minute to carry the 41 magnum with heavy cast bullets anywhere in North America for big game hunting or bear protection.