While being off here lately, I've had the opportunity to do some things I don't normally have time to do: work up loads; fire lapping on some revolvers; shooting; posting on forums and tinkering on guns, just to name a few. A while back I purchased a Ruger Old Army with a brass gripframe with the intent to swap out the gripframe with my OM Super Blackhawk. Last week I had the chance to get to work on it. I hand fitted the grip frame to the Super and decided to build some custom grips while I was at it. I want to work on it then, while I could, and only had one piece of wood laying around that was big enough to get two grip panels from - so I run with it. It is not a bookmatch set, but turned out ok, considering what I had on hand that would work. So, I went to work with a piece of desert ironwood I had laying around. This is the outcome...

I made the panels thicker than factory offerings, more along the thickness of Freedom Arms M83 grips and it made a world of difference on feel, felt recoil and shootability.

Next upgrades on this revolver will be a CCH frame, custom pinned front sight, custom rear sight, and barrel/cylinder re-blue. But for now, it's ready to hunt.

It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze.