Originally Posted By: Craig44
On a revolver used in the eastern woodlands, I can find no practical use for a big variable. Bought a Burris 2-7x years ago and never found a good home for it. Going past 4x under 100yds I experienced serious parallax issues. For me, they are a lot of unnecessary weight, bulk and complexity. On a revolver I want no more than a red dot or fixed 2x, though I can see some use for the Burris 1-4x I have on one sixgun. For hunting out west in open country, I could see using a 4x or the 1-4x but no more.

In general, I'm of the school of thought that "less is more" and generally think that 3-9x's are too much glass for the average big game hunter, especially in the east. The Leupold 1.5-5x is my favorite rifle scope and it rides on everything from the little .250Savage to the .416Rigby. Glassing is for binoculars.

I agree Craig44,

That is why I switched out my variables to fixed Luepolds. I always found myself fiddling with the power dial when I really should have been concentrating on the shot, getting into position, settling the cross hairs etc. Couple that with some durability issues and I knew which way I wanted to go

"If you are going to go through all the trouble to put a hole in something, why not make it a big one?"