I always have at least 2 different types of rests with me when I'm hunting & I always use revolvers. Since I always have my walking stick with me I've learned it comes in handy quite often, mostly in the mountains, not so much on flat ground.

In this case you'll see it did come in handy on flat ground but that's unusual. It was a depredation doe hunt in very open country, much like hunting white tail deer. I was easing along an old fence line & 5-6 deer were sneaking out ahead of me. I set the walking stick up on the foot board of my 4 wheeler & ran my left wrist through the leather thong, that makes for a very steady hold, then I grip the gun with my right hand & then I took the shot at 58 yds using my bisley 45 & a 260 gr Keith slug.

In the second photo I used another method using my backpack & going prone. I always have a small piece of heavy leather & I throw it over my pack so it doesn't get a hole burned in it from the revolver. The 4X4 buck was shot with my 10.5" Ruger 44 magnum at 94 yds while I was laying in a grain field.

Dick