I can understand both feelings. I don't like being told what do do, nor do I like spending more money than I think I should.

I made a personal choice to switched to copper or steel for all my hunting that puts meat on the table after reading the MN DNR report on lead contamination and seeing the X-ray images they took of sheep and deer that they used in the study. Lead was often widely dispersed through the carcass and difficult to predict where it would be. https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/hunting/ammo/lead.html for the study home page with links to a online presentation.

For me with a young child eating mostly venison at home, the potential lead exposure wasn't worth it. Low levels of lead don't really effect adults, but it really messes with the brains of young kids, both before they are born and while they grow.

To lighten the load on my pocket book, I've taken the approach of working up a similar load with a lead bullet and using that for the majority of range time over the non-hunting season and then switching over to copper bullets in the ~month or so before hunting starts. I've found the switch to be quite easy when using optics and I can simply dial in a new POI for the copper rounds. I imagine open sights would be a bit more difficult.

Good luck in finding a load that works for you. Let us know how it works out.