In 6.5 cal, I have specialty pistols in 6.5-284 Winchester, .260 Remington, 6.5 Creedmoor. Ballistically speaking, I like them from the former to the later. It?s a matter of case capacity.
But, I?m strictly a handloader. So, factory options don?t drive my boat. If they do, you might looks to the Creedmoor as your best option.

If you don?t........the Creedmoor is ballistically a castrated 6.5 caliber. It cannot compete with a fully stoked and throated .260 Remington or above I regards to velocity. Does not mean it won?t work. You just have to decide what factors are important to you. Velocity or factory options.

I have a CVA Scout Pistol in 6.5 Creedmoor. I bought it because I like the platform and the cartridge was second. I?ve shot small groups and killed deer with it, so it works well and I?m pleased. It is probably the best financial option out there for what you are considering. The platform costs less than a TC barrel. And the trigger is much better.

As to the brake.............well........it?s a personal choice. But, I put a brake on EVERY gun I can.

Hearing protection is a must. Regardless of brake or no brake. I can?t afford to lose what little bearing I have left because I was a dumb ass earlier in life and spent too much time around detrimental loud noises. So, now days, if I?m shooting non-suppressed firearms (and even then usually) I have hearing protection. Because reading lips sucks and I?m already there.

So........I like brakes.

"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith