Originally Posted By: jamesfromjersey
you put that perfectly Ernie (you to Zee)... a Texas ranch hunt is a great way to keep shooting your handguns until opening day...

I have not done a lot of high fence hunts. One time I won a free cull Corsican hunt(had to pay guide fee-which was a joke). I went during the middle of the week, and there was basically no hunters there. I didn't want to be in a stand, as I wanted to spot and stalk, and the guy said the whole pasture was mine. It was a low fence area with a larger high fence. I never saw the whole low fence so it wasn't a small area.
Anyway, me and my trusty FA 454 were out and about and I ended up taking a Corsican around 75 yards from a seated position against a tree using shooting sticks-One and done. Waited for my guy to show up, brought the animal in and then they took me around and showed all kinds of nice critters that I could go after. At that time, money was so tight it wasn't even a possibility. It was a fun experience, but it was a lot different than antelope hunting on the eastern plains of Colorado or from hunting public land (packing in) for mule deer or elk in the Rocky Mountains. We lived in Spur, TX at the time, so it was probably early 90's.
One other time I was in a high fence area that my brother-in-law and his brother had. Whitetail and javelina. I shot a doe. This was all stand hunting with feeders as well.
South Africa at Big Waters Safari is a huge area, although it is high fence. No feeders, and no blinds, and the animals were as wild as anything on public land. We walked from 9-11 miles each day. All spot and stalk, and or doing the sneaky-sneak ever so slowly along the river or draw areas.

Ernie the Un-Tactical