It took until the last chance but good luck prevailed. Alabama's season actually goes thru today 10 Feb but hard rain made Sunday 9 Feb the last usable day. I left early (1430) to get up to the top to intercept the usual route but ran into about 8 casual hikers wondering around my small hunting place. After a nicer than they deserved exchange they moved off but apparently circled back right into the path the deer usually take. I had no options so I just sat and hoped they moved out before any deer came that way. They ran two small does right to me so I was encouraged but sat wondering what and how many they ran back up the mountain. I hunted as low as property lines allowed until 1545 then moved back up to the planned stand.
Thirty minutes later two medium (good eating size) does wondered off the top so I assumed the hikers were out of the area. They came right toward me so I stood and got ready with my trigger sticks. They were very nervous and I assumed that was all the hiker scent as the wind was good for my position. They came to about 25 or 30 yards but limbs or angles prevented a shot. Finally one was almost broadside but my two legged trigger stick slipped and hit the metal stand. I thought I was busted but they settled down and one took a couple steps where a frontal shoulder to the off side shoulder angle was available. I normally go right behind the shoulder but based on advice here I went for the shoulder. This was the initiation of the recent Lipsey production Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter Bisley in .45 Colt shooting the HSM Bear Loads 325 grain wide flat nose gas checked factory ammo with advertised 1155 fps. Topped with Leupold 2.5-6 x32 scope.
Shot entered a little more forward than planned but still broke both shoulders and must have hit the main neck artery. She made it 40 yards in an arcing death run with impressive blood trail especially for a solid-like bullet. Of course complete pass thru with caliber entry and exit. Front of both lungs were pierced but blood loss from the neck was main cause.
Too dark for pictures but standard doe. Backstrap and tenderloin in large pieces but rest sliced for jerky since I have breakfast sausage left from last year.
Since I am still relatively new to handgun hunting, I need to figure out the shooting rest/sticks for a ladder stand without any type of shelf. I have a single leg trigger stick and that may be better but getting the scope at arm?s length was the main issue I had and it also resulted in the clang that almost busted me. I plan to build some handgun friendly elevated shooting blinds but I have so many ladder stands I need to be able to hunt them as well. It has been a good year and now it is time for load development with the 250 grain Deep Curls for possible hogs in April and July. Following 45MAN in load development so lots to do. Thanks all.

Last edited by short30; 02/10/2020 2:57 PM.

First Handgun Deer: ~1982 8" S&W .38Spl
SW 7.5" 686-7 with Matchdot II
SBHH .45LC 7.5"
Contender G2 .35-30/30 (Bellm), .22LR, .22 Hornet, 25-35
Glock 40 10mm; G21 Poly80 w/ 9 inch barrel (in work)