I started work on a new Tower Stand. The one I put together two or three years ago was 4' x 4' with 12 foot 4X4 Legs. It needed height to see over the crest of a hill.
The platform on this stand is constructed of CCA 2x6 lumber framing with 1x6 CCA Decking. The front wall is 6 feet tall. The back wall is 5'-10" giving it a little slope for the roof to drain.
It has 4x4 legs 8 feet in length installed using a Compound Angle Elevator Leg Kit. I have four Concrete Post Bases to install under the posts.
I Framed the side walls using 2x6 lumber. Some CCA and some regular depending on the location. The reason I used 2x6 lumber was so that I could install a shooting bench centered on the wall, half inside and half outside. Using 2x6 walls and 2x6 lumber under the bench I should be able to secure it without external bracing. The shooting bench will be installed on all four sides. I plan on having a hinged drop down section of bench at the door opening.
My brother and I finished installing the legs, band boards and X Bracing late yesterday evening and got it stood up. We attached the winch on the Polarus Ranger to one side to pull it up after lifting it up far enough from the other side with the front end loader on the John Deere tractor. After the Rangers winch took over we used a ladder and reattached the rope on the tractor bucket to control the tower after the winch got it over center. This let us set it down gently. All went well.

That is where I am at so far. I am off work today so I am off to get a couple more boards, check on some metal for the sides and roof, and to check on Cee Perlins for the roof to attach to.

My math shows we have 89 days till opening morning. We are getting close. I still have loads to work up and Contenders and Encores to shoot. I was thinking the other day I have not harvested a deer yet with my 260 Remington Encore barrel or my 357 Maximum G2 barrel. I guess I could add my CVA Optima muzzle loader to the list also. Off to look for more material.

Bob R

See You At The Range