Originally Posted By: Jeffrey G.
Great idea. I have a 460V S&W and this would add even more versatility to the platform. Although 45 Colt shotshells are available already but not up to the shot count yours demonstrates.

There are a few additional steps involved in making them....but, it?s not like you?re likely to be shooting a bunch of them. You can see that I had to slightly bottleneck the cases to clear the cylinder throat. I used a 2 1/2? 410 shot cup, thinking that it would help the pattern, as well as keeping the shot off of the rifling. If you just used paper discs, or similar....you may get a little more shot in the case. I thought the possible benefits of the plastic shot cup outweighed the benefits of a few more shot.

I ran the case just a very short distance into a 44 magnum resizing die, to give the slight bottleneck. The bottleneck gave a little resistance to the insertion of the shot cup, but not much. I weighed my shot, until I achieved the 1/2 ounce, then cut a rifle brass down, forming a dipper that held the 1/2 ounce of shot. I used a 44 cal gas check, inverted over the shot, then put a slight crimp on the case to secure the gas check. I then put hot glue over the end, to seal/waterproof. The hot glue application was the most difficult part of the entire process. I haven?t tried silicon caulk yet....that may be a cleaner, easier means of sealing the case end!

If you try some, and have good results using a different method than mine.....let me know. I?m always open to suggestions! Good Luck if you try it! memtb

Last edited by Memtb460; 09/23/2020 1:17 PM.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

~Molɔ̀ːn Lab? Sk?la~