I scored with the XP100 this last week during our rifle elk season. First kill with the XP100 since I had it made 2 years ago. It was made because, well, Ernie made me do it. HA!!! I went to Wy-shot two years ago, and was hooked on long range pistols. I showed up early, and Ernie showed me his reloading mansion... I mean room. He let me help him do some reloads for the upcoming long range sessions. Now, by long range, I don't mean 100 yards, 200 yards, or even 500 yards. I'm talking 1,000 yards plus. And yeah, I did it myself. I went from knowing nothing about long range shooting, to hitting a prairie dog size steel target at 1176 yards in about 2 days. Ernie is amazing at teaching that stuff. Well, it stuck with me. I had a 284 Winchester made on an XP100 frame, and it is my absolute favorite firearm. If my life depended on one shot, that's the firearm I would use.

Anyway... On to the hunt...

Four of us were hunting this last week at our property in south Colorado. Three of us had cow tags, and one had a bull tag. A herd of 30+ started coming into range. Myself, my wife, and my buddy's wife, Amy, had the cow tags. We all laid down prone with our firearms, I ranged the hillside across the canyon at 272 yards. I told the two gals where to aim based on their rifle / bullet, and we waited. The cows came into view, the three of us picked our critter, Lee counted to three, and we fired. All three cows went down in 30 yards or less. My first kill with the XP100, my wife's 3rd elk with her 270 WSM, and Amy's first ever elk.

Since this is a handgun forum, I'll stick to info concerning my handgun. I used a 162g Hornady ELDX over 56.5gr 4831 Short Cut (the powder Ernie recommended). I did not recover the bullet cause it was a complete pass through. Didn't hit ribs at all. But it did it's job. The lungs were a mess, and the critter made it less than 30 yards before stopping.

I can't tell you how excited I was to use the XP100. All because of Ernie and Wy-shot. Also, this pistol was dipped and cerakoted by Derek Schaffer, owner of Ace Custom Coatings in Dublin California, whom I also met at Wy-shot that same year and became good friends with. He and Lisa are a riot!! I would be willing to bet he has more of these XP type pistols than Ernie!

Thanks Ernie for planting the seed! Thanks Derek for coating the pistol!

A lot of people are like a slinky: Not much fun till you push them down the stairs!

Lifetime Member of the NRA! Wish I'd a done it sooner.