Wild about it? No - A fan of it? It has it good sides and bad sides. I have always hunted elevated from a tree.

Being native to Mississippi River bottom terrain, hunting off the ground was something I would ever give any thought to. Last night I hunted from the ground and all I can say is that it does have some advantages to it. But likewise it does have some draw back.

Currently I am hunting a mammoth of a buck. Last night he showed up a hour after I departed from the area. Judging from my trail camera I am within 30 yards of him and two other good bucks that frequent this area on a regular bases. When I scan the view from my scope while sitting on my Turkey hunting stool. I have to really pick my shot very carefully. Slipping a bullet thru the trees do offer a challenge.

Handgun hunting is quite challenging. Not everybody can do this with success. This is part of the reason why I think that "Pistol Hunters" doesn't get any love from the hunting industry.

Again, it was definitely to late to shoot or have a fair chance of harvesting either of the 3. The light dissipates very quick when you're on the ground. It would have been too late and I couldn't see out of my scope which does sparks another edgy discussion to surface - Pistol Scopes.

I guess this could be another great discussion piece during the off season. We now have only 2 companies that offer offer pistol hunters some decent selections. And with likewise saying, maybe that will be only just a matter of time.

Last edited by bscott; 12/08/2020 2:55 AM.

"THEY FALL LIKE DEAD WEIGHT!"