Originally Posted By: SamuelKing
I'm just curious if anyone regularly uses a handgun for whitetail hunting. If so, what do you use specifically -- make and model, barrel length, scope or irons, and bullet? I'm considering giving it a try and wonder what people have used successfully.

45 Colt is my favorite caliber. Can load it light enough that my wife or new shooters can shoot it very comfortably, or I can load it heavy enough to take moose. My personal favorite of all the handguns I've ever had was a custom build by Jack Huntington on a Ruger Super Blackhawk. Barrel lengths of 5 to 6 inches are probably most common. Iron sights.

That being said, don't overlook the XP100 platform, or other single shot pistols. Mine is by far the most accurate handgun of any caliber I have ever owned. It is chambered in 284, sports a Leupold VX3i FFP 6.5-20x50 LRP scope with a CCH reticle (Only scope I will EVER use for the rest of my life.), and I'd put it up against most people's rifles. I always tell people, if my life depended on one shot, at any distance out to 1000 yards, I'd take my pistol. And that's no lie. If you go to Wy-shot in June, learn how to use this platform and what it is capable of, you won't use anything else in the near future. I only have one revolver now, thanks to Wy-shot. And it's a Ruger Single Six that I use on the trap line!

A lot of people are like a slinky: Not much fun till you push them down the stairs!

Lifetime Member of the NRA! Wish I'd a done it sooner.