Originally Posted By: 45MAN
CAST BULLET SELECTION DEPENDS A LOT ON WHAT YOU MAY WANT TO USE THEM FOR AND ON, AND AT WHAT VELOCITIES YOU WOULD LIKE TO USE THEM AT.

I PREFER TO KEEP MY CAST BULLET LOADS AT 1,300fps AND UNDER SO AS TO LESSEN THE RISK OF TOO MUCH LOSS OF BULLET INTEGRITY. MOST OF MY CAST BULLET 45 COLT REVOLVER SHOOTING OCCURS WITH BULLETS UNDER 300grs. 2 FAVORITES FOR EVERYDAY LOADS ARE THE COMMERCIAL CAST (BOTH BB) RNFP 250gr AND SWC 255gr BULLETS, WHICH I NOW PREFER COATED RATER THAN LUBED. THE RNFP IS A SURPRISINGLY ACCURATE AND EFFECTIVE BULLET.

THE ONLY HP CAST BULLET I CURRENTLY USE IN 45 COLT IS A COATED 275gr SWC HP SUPPLIED BY SIXSHOT, WHICH I USE IN A 10 INCH CONTENDER FOR DEER AND HOGS.

Yeah, I understand the velocity thing. I kept the 335gr LNFP to slower velocities as well. My "hot" load was 1175fps with H110, and the light load was 850fps with Titegroup. I never was to interested in the hollowpoint stuff if it wasn't an XTP. Never ran those out of a 45 Colt though. It was only in the 10mm and the 460 S&W.

I don't want to have a bunch of loads. I prefer one light load, and one hot load. If I'm hunting, I use the hot load. Otherwise, I use the lighter one. Well, if it's deer, I'll still use the lighter one, but keep a couple hot's in my pocket in case a bear shows up.

I think I'll try the 250's for a light load, and use the 335's for a hot load. Yeah, I know it will change POI a little bit, but I think I'm smart enough to deal with that.

What about the casting part of my original question? Russel, do you add anything to your lead? Can I use pure lead, and quench them in water to get them hard enough for the loads / velocities that were mentioned above?

A lot of people are like a slinky: Not much fun till you push them down the stairs!

Lifetime Member of the NRA! Wish I'd a done it sooner.