When I was an impressionable tweenager, I read an article in Peterson's Hunting titled "The guns of spring"(author unknown) discussing the topic of a single rifle to cover rockchucks and bears in the American west. Rifles chambered for .243,.257, or 25-06 were discussed. ( Remember this predates the 6.5 craze)

In that spirit, I considered my MOA in .250 Savage, to cover bears over bait and rockchucks. I love my .250 for deer hunting, and someday I'm going to see a bear while I am hunting with my .250, and if that bear needs shooting, I'm going to shoot it with my .250. But not this trip.

I could do a Contender with two barrels, a .35 Rem for bear, and a .223 for chucks. But since we are flying, and I am gun bearer for my 11 year old and his rifle, the gun case is getting crowded.

So... for the sake of simplicity, I am taking my 30-30 Contender.(same caliber as my son's rifle) The hunt will be focused on bears, and if there are rockchucks to shoot, they will be incidental. I can hit things further away than many would expect with my 30-30, and that will be an asset if I do get to snipe some chucks.

I intend to use my revolver on bear, but I will have a proven Contender if I'm uncomfortable with the distance.

I was mostly curious about what handgun other members would choose, given the opportunity.