it's been quite a while since I was last on this site, was nice to get back and see some of the post from the last year or so. Not sure why it has taken me this long to get back here as this last I finally got my first deer with a handgun, and on my own property to boot.
This last season started with me playing around with an idea that I found on Facebook where someone had loaded two or three round balls into a 45-70 round. With this I worked up loads for two .360 round balls into a .38spl case and three of them into a .357mag case.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Was actually impressed with my results. These groups I shot were at 20 yards and since I only had one piece of card board I was taking shots at different parts of the board and hitting at point of aim. Couldn't ask for much more for a little experiment.
My thought was to be able to carry these for armadillos as we have been having issues with them where we deer hunt, it is right next to a golf course and the greenskeeper has been having problems with them also tearing up the course so I am plenty happy to help out. After loading up a bunch of these I have yet to see a diller while carrying them but decided to carry them while I was calling raccoons with my father in law the Saturday after thanksgiving. On our last set of the day a nice coon came out and sat on a broken off branch with the main truck of a very large cottonwood behind him. I would typically use my .17wsm for this be decided to try the new loads and I was not disappointed. The round balls hit right at his shoulder and he just folded over and rolled off the branch. Almost the same reaction I would have had with the rifle.
Also last October we moved into a new house that got us about fifteen miles from the noise of town, just love the peace and quiet and the wildlife we get to see. During the last weekend of our rifle season I sat under a tree that was about 30 yards or so from the house. Had three deer come in with 15 minutes of light left, a nice shooter buck that since my buck tag was archery only, i could not shoot a doe that stood behind the buck and this little doe who was standing in the lead of the group. I was shooting a federal load with a 158gr semi-jacketed hollow point and at only 8 yards it hit high shoulder and mushroomed well based on the wound channel and exit but just kept on going, but put her down where she stood.
This year I have decided to get the general tag so if another buck presents this kind of opportunity I will be able to take the shot. Also to prepare for this season I got ahold of some 180gr lead hollowpoints that I have worked up loads for as well as a few 180gr XTPs that were recommended to me by several on this sight. I haven't yet decided which I will carry but feel that I am well armed with either one.
Ready to see what this season has to bring for me and excited to see what it brings everyone else as well.