This Deer Season got off to a bumpy start in the Missouri Ozarks. We went from unseasonably Warm to Blue Cold over night just as the season opened. We had lows in the 50's at night and upper 70's to 80 during the day. Then virtually over night it went into the Teen's at night and a high in the mid 20's with 1.5 inches of powdered snow on the ground opening morning. I am not sure what this triggered, but the deer were very scarce over night also.
Saturday Morning I did not see anything.
Saturday afternoon at 4:15 I spotted a shooter quality buck, however my the time I spotted him, I did not have any time to get on him. I had him insight as he circled a 40 acre hay field, staying in the edge of the woods line almost all the way around the field.
At 4:45 I had a spike buck come by at probably 40 yards. He circled around and went by my brothers stand a little later. He had also made the rounds past Stans stand before getting to mine. If he gets some horns he will need to get a lot more cautious.
Sunday I did not see a thing.
Monday again nothing from the stand. However I had three does beside the house in the pasture when I got home.
Tuesday morning was a bust. However Tuesday evening I had a group of four does come into the hay field around 5 PM soon followed by two more does a few minutes later.

I work Wednesday - Friday at the Hardware store so no hunting time. Wednesday I did start seeing deer again. I spotted two in a hay field going to work. On the way home I spotted 10 or more in the neighbors small pasture beside the house. I next had a buck cross Infront of me before getting to my house. At 10PM when the wife was getting ready for bed she called be back to the front bedroom, and we had two does in the yard under the yard light. When I went to bed at midnight we were up to Five under the yard light in the yard.

I now have some faith that things are getting back to normal.

I will be back out Saturday Morning with the Nosler M48 in 6.5CM. I have high hopes to draw First Blood with it this weekend.

Bob R

See You At The Range