Originally Posted By: rupe
Me I have been through alot of shooting with double actions and auto's I can shoot alot faster with less to think about while your in a life threatening situation with a DA.

I carry a Glock for work, but for our scenario traing we use double action revolvers with sim rounds containing a plastic pellet coated with dye. I have always been a fan of and shot single action revolvers prior to this. The scenarios are high stress and about as realistic as you can get without being in an actual shoot-out.

It has always been repeated to us in training that you will perform in an event the same way you train. That was driven home to me after my first training "shoot-out". In this incident both the suspect (who is a highly trained firearms instructor)and I got off four shots (and hits)in a very fast point blank exchange and in the same time frame.

When I went to holster my revolver, I realized the hammer was back. I had fired all four shots single action in about the same time the instructor fired four shots double action, without realizing that I had fired in that mode. I would have preferred to fire double action, but all those years of firing single action took over and I did not know I fired in that manner until it was over. This has changed the way I look at single action revolvers for self defense. The only handicap I feel I would have had is if there were no lethal hits and we were forced to reload and continue.

While a single action can't carry the number of rounds as semi-autos and most can't load them with the speed of a double action, I do not hesitate to carry them in the field for protection from four legged (and more likely two legged) critters. They are rugged, reliable and can be loaded to power levels that semi's can only dream of. They are not ideal for every situation, but they work for me most of the time.

Anyone who carries a gun for self defense should get in all the practice they can. I know I would not have performed like I did without many hours and who knows how many rounds fired with single actions. I feel the average person is better off with a semi-auto or double action. Not trying to change anyones opinion, this has just been my experience.

Experience is the best teacher, hunger good sauce.
Osborne Russell Journal of a Trapper