Just joined the forum and I came looking for help! I decided back in January to re-commit myself to deer hunting with a revolver next year and about that same time I found a new S&W 460 with the Whitetails Unlimited and "Iowa" engraving on it. Being a longtime supporter of this organization, I thought it was kind of an omen and I fell in love with the gun. Never owned a Smith before but had always wanted to. Their reputation impressed me as did the feel of this gun.

Here's my list of questions:

I want to get so used to this gun that it becomes an extension of myself. How much should I shoot it at any one time? Any other routines others have used. My wife says I have to quit sleeping with it!

How much should I shoot it using 45 Long Colt -vs- using the 460 round? Give me some thoughts on practice distances, rest, etc.

Research has shown me certain issues that I'm questioning whether I can believe. Such as, problems with deterioration of the cone, upper strap, even talk of needing to replace barrels periodically. Anyone know any truths on these matters?

As for scoping it, yes/no? What scope to use? Does anyone know anything about the quality of the rail and rings I found I can order direct from S&W?

Please just answer as much or as little as you want. Any and all advice is appreciated. Don't hesitate to tell me anything else related to my undertaking positive or negative. Thanks in advance!

B&C Assoc./Official Measurer
P&Y Assoc./Official Measurer